Sunday, September 11, 2011

In Memory of 9/11....10 years later



photo courtesy of Andrea Slack



What were you doing 10 years ago on this day?  Do you remember? I was standing in my kitchen, after getting my kids off to school.  I was talking on the phone to one of my friends. The tv was on, but I wasn't really focused on it.  Suddenly, I saw something so unbelievable! At first glance, I thought it was a movie trailer. The announcers were frantic they gained my attention long enough for me to realize the sky in NYC was ablaze.   All I could do was stand  in shock with tears streaming down my face.  It was unreal!  We were under attack from the enemy! The twin towers were burning and crumbling to the ground.  There was another report of a plane crash due to a suicide bomber.  The pentagon was under siege.  There was total pandemonium!   I suddenly wanted my kids at home.  I wanted to call everyone I loved and say "I love You".  It was a sobering moment.   It felt as if all the things we have worried about were happening.  Where would it end? Would it end?  What was the damage? Who was to blame?  Who would be this evil to attach innocent people and cause such heartache.
It has been 10 years since that morning, but when I remember that I still get that sick feeling I felt watching the bombing.   It wasn't until eight years after 9/11, when my son died, that I  unfortunately experienced first hand  the loss those families felt that day.  
It is unexplainable.  There are no words....

When you lose a loved one, you can never go back to the way life was before the tragedy, you can never make up missing that ball game or play,  you can never say prayers with that person again, you can't take back words spoken in anger, the laughter is gone, their voice is no longer heard, you hunger for their smell when you hugged them.  It's too late, it's over...

On this anniversary date, let's make a promise to live as if every day is our last. 
Do it right the first time.  Don't make room for regrets.   Be thankful to those who gave their lives for our freedom.  Let's use 9/11 as a reminder to Love More and argue less,
 give a little grace, be thankful for the little things....




Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your kind comments! I enjoy your feedback! No spam, link backs or commercial advertisements please! They will be removed!