Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Trade Secrets: Best "Black" Paint Colors Picked by The Pros






Today we are talking favorite black paint colors here on the blog!
I don't know if you use black in your decor but it is one of my favorite colors!  Black can be mysterious, sexy, dramatic, chic, and crisp when paired with white.  A black wall can be the perfect backdrop for art or work well as an accent wall to anchor a room.  I painted my doors black when I moved in my house 20 years ago and they continue to be black today.  White was chosen as Benjamin Moore's color of the year but if I had been choosing I would have chosen Black over White because we are seeing it everywhere.  Black works in every room of the house.  It also pairs well with basically every color.   Do you like black or are you afraid of it?  If you have been thinking of painting a room black or perhaps an accent wall, trim or your doors, we have some great blacks today for you to consider.   Let's go to the Pros and see whicn Black Paint colors they are using in their projects....




1. Cheryl Clendenon of In Detail Interiors

Benjamin Moore "Black Panther" 

"I love it for a little softer black.  I'm a huge believer in the power of black 
doors!  All through my shop and in many of my projects I have black doors".

Credit via Sherwin Williams




2. Chuck Wheelock of Wheelock Design

Benjamin Moore BlackBerry #2119-20

"Benjamin Moore Blackberry #2119-20 is bold and saturated with
dark plum undertones.  Makes other colors pop, especially red."

credit via Chuck Wheelock

Benjamin Moore BlackBerry #2119-20


3. Tyler Wisler of Tyler Wisler Home

Ralph Lauren "Bone Black."

Ralph Lauren "Bone Black worked pretty well on my Housing Works "Design on a Dime" Vignette earlier this year by allowing all the wonderful donations to showcase well against the black!  Bone Black was the perfect backdrop to make the products pop which was why I used it in my space!

credit via Tyler Wisler Home

Ralph Lauren "Bone Black."


4. Andrea Brooks of Andrea Brooks Interiors

Sherwin Williams "Iron Ore" SW7069 

"One of my favorite blacks is SW 7069 Iron Ore--it has just enough blue to give it a charcoal feel and to add the richness and depth, so it's not flat."

credit via Andrea Brooks Interiors

Sherwin Williams "Iron Ore" SW7069 

credit Andrea Brooks Interiors

Sherwin Williams "Iron Ore" SW7069 



5. Anna Lattimore of Anna Lattimore Interior Design

Sherwin Williams "Black Fox" SW7020

 "My favorite black is Sherwin Williams "Black Fox" #7020. It is a warm black with brown undertones that reminds me of black bean soup. When used outside on shutters or doors, it tends to read dark brown, while it reads black when used on an interior surface. It is favorite black of mine because it gives a design contrast without overwhelming more subtle colors and details of a room".   

In the photo below, I painted the custom vanity black fox that paired well with honed black marble. The wallpaper is grasscloth with a damask pattern by Thibaut. 

credit Anna Lattimore

Sherwin Williams "Black Fox"  SW7020



6. Kristie Barnett, The Decorologist

Benjamin Moore "Black" 2132-10

"Classic soft black, perfect for a front door (exterior and interior) as well
as interior windows to draw the eye outside."

credit via The Decorologist

Benjamin Moore "Black" 2132-10

Credit The Decorologist

Benjamin Moore "Black" 2132-10


The next three designers all chose "Sherwin Williams 6990 Caviar"
 so it must be a favorite....

7. Becca Stephens of Becca Stephens Interiors

"My favorite is Sherwin Williams 6990 Caviar. It has a neutral base, so it doesn't come off too warm or too cool, and it always looks great contrasted with any shade of white or cream. I recently used this color in a powder room for both the vanity cabinet (to contrast with a dark bronze glass subway tile wall) and on the window grillwork to mimic steel windows".


Sherwin Williams "Caviar" SW6990



8. Joann Kandrac of Kandrac and Kole

Sherwin Williams Caviar SW6990

"My favorite black is Sherwin Williams Caviar SW6990. It is a "true" black and looks amazing paired with white.  This is my personal screened porch where I used it on the door, window trim and ceiling.  I just finished it a couple of weeks ago, and I just love it."


credit via Joann Kandrac

Sherwin Williams Caviar SW6990


9. Jana Donohoe of Jana Donohoe Designs

Sherwin Williams "Caviar Black" SW6990

I like Sherwin Williams Caviar Black because it is a "true" black without blue or purple undertones.  I used it here on interior doors."



credit Jana Rae

Sherwin Williams "Caviar Black" SW6990


10. Robin Siegerman of Renovation Bootcamp




11. Meredith Bohn of
Meredith Bohn Interior Design

"Off Black" by Farrow&Ball

"I have used this in my home and a couple of Showhouses....
 The best charcoal black that is not too gray...and yet it does not lean towards blue/black at all....I love it!"

credit via Meredith Bohn

"Off Black" by Farrow&Ball

credit Meredith Bohn

Off-Black by Farrow & Ball



12.  Laurel Bern of Laurel Bern Interiors:

Benjamin Moore Onyx 2133-10

"I love Benjamin Moore Onyx 2133-10. It is deep and rich but not at all harsh. It pairs beautifully with a warm white like Benjamin Moore Cloud White 967 or White Dove OC-17. Here we used it for window frames in this 1920's Tudor-style home in Scarsdale, NY."


credit via Laurel Bern


Benjamin Moore Onyx2133-10


13. Catherine Avery of Resovate Office Design

Benjamin Moore "Iron Mountain" 2134-30

"I used this as an accent wall for a fireplace and loved the rich color."
Shown here in a dining room by J Hirsch Interiors the color is dramatic
without being too dark when balanced by lighter furnishings yet looks
great as a backdrop for the baby grand."

credit via JHirsch Interiors
Benjamin Moore "Iron Mountain" 2134-30


 Lisa Mende Design's 

 favorite black is....

 Pratt and Lambert  "Noir"

 I used it in the kitchen shown below

Credit via Dustin Peck Photography
Terry House, High Point, NC




Well, there you have it, folks!  The favorite black paint colors as chosen by the designers.  Was there a black you love that wasn't included?  Please feel free to comment if so.



On another note...my heart goes out to Paris, and I pray for healing and peace for that country.  As one of the designers, Laurel Bern mentioned, it is kind of ironic that I chose black as this week's color since there seems to be a gloomy feeling in our midst over the tragedy in France this past week.  Next week is Blush Pink, so let's hope that color brings happy thoughts and healing for all.



Thank you to the Designers from the Interior Design Community who participated in the blog today and were willing to give away their trade secret "Favorite Black" paint colors.
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Lisa I love the rich sophistication that black adds to a room. Perfect examples!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    The Blink of an Eye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree with you Karena. Black does add sophistication. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. What a great post, Lisa and amazing info...love seeing the choices of designers - now I have to get my nerve up to paint a room black! So agree with thoughts on Paris...black was the perfect pick...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benjamin Moore Blacktop - wonderful in satin, a little blue, a little green, depth and flexibility. Used it on my front door and I love it every day.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your kind comments! I enjoy your feedback! No spam, link backs or commercial advertisements please! They will be removed!